The Wave offers consistent waves that make practising and perfecting your skills easier and lots of fun for everyone. Our non-guided surf sessions are available for advanced surfers. We also have a beginner area where you can learn to surf with a lesson.
Advanced surf sessions
Our advanced surf sessions take place on The Reef, where we can create a range of different wave profiles, from open-faced waves with a soft incline and slow peeling speed, to rapid breaks with steep barrel sections.
A typical session will begin with a gentle open faced wave gradually increasing in intensity to more powerful sections, finishing with a gentle barrel to challenge your skills. In the reef, you have the benefit of being able to choose between the right or the left side for your session.
During this time, we'd recommend that those surfing in the intermediate and advanced area bring their own wetsuit and surfboard if they have them.
It is important to make sure you arrive at least 60 minutes before your selected time. .
Advanced area - the facts and figures
- Wave type: A range of open-faced waves, both right and left. Some have faces with a soft incline and slow peeling speed, while others break rapidly with steep barrel sections.
- Water depth: 1.5m at take off
- Wave height:1.2m-1.9m
- Wave length: 12-15 seconds
- Suitable for: Advanced surfers who have mastered all the fundamentals of surfing and surfing etiquette and can comfortably ride waves above 1m. They can handle themselves in most conditions: duck diving through whitewater; paddling in deep water; lining up in the take-off zone; catching a wave before it breaks; popping up to their feet; managing their speed, and turning on the open-face until the end of the wave.
Advanced surfers can book ‘the left’ or ‘the right’ for their session, the waves are perfectly mirrored either side of the pier;
- The Right: Is a righthander to the right of the pier as viewed from shore, which will be forehand for ‘regular’ stance and backhand for goofy stance.
- The Left: Is a lefthander to the left of the pier as viewed from shore, which will be backhand for ‘regular’ stance and forehand for ‘goofy’ stance.
*Surfers stay on their booked side for the duration of the session, with no switching, for safety reasons and to ensure surfers maximise their time in the lake.
Please allow at least 60 minutes before your surf session start time.
You must be fully changed 15 minutes before your session starts in order to participate in the safety briefing. The briefing will start promptly and if you miss it then you will not be allowed into the lake.
You must watch a Health & Safety video and sign a waiver before you surf with us, please ensure you do this before arriving on-site. After your first visit, you will only need to sign your waiver once every 60 days. The system will automatically notify you when it is time to sign your waiver, please ensure you do this before you arrive on-site. You must watch the whole Health & Safety video before you can sign your waiver, this is to reduce the briefing time when on-site and help keep you socially distanced.
Surfing and bodyboarding are physically challenging and carry risks that we cannot entirely eliminate. Have a look at our Health & Safety information and find out how to surf safely here.