At The Wave we’re able to offer consistent waves that make practising and perfecting your skills easier and lots of fun for everyone. Our Surf sessions are available for intermediate and advanced surfers. We also have a beginner area where you can learn to Surf with a lesson.
Advanced surf sessions
Our advanced surf sessions take place on The Reef, where we can create a range of different wave profiles, from open-faced waves with a soft incline and slow peeling speed, to rapid breaks with steep barrel sections.
A typical session will begin with a gentle open faced wave gradually increasing in intensity to more powerful sections, finishing with a gentle barrel to challenge your skills. In the reef, you have the benefit of being able to choose between the right or the left side for your session.
All our equipment is free of charge, including our diverse range of surfboards. You’re welcome to try them out or use your own.
Advanced area - the facts and figures
- Wave type: A range of open-faced waves, both right and left. Some have faces with a soft incline and slow peeling speed, while others break rapidly with steep barrel sections.
- Water depth: 1.5m at take off
- Wave height:1.2m-1.9m
- Wave length: 12-15 seconds
- Suitable for: Advanced surfers who have mastered all the fundamentals of surfing and surfing etiquette and can comfortably ride waves above 1m. They can handle themselves in most conditions: duck diving through whitewater; paddling in deep water; lining up in the take-off zone; catching a wave before it breaks; popping up to their feet; managing their speed, and turning on the open-face until the end of the wave.
Should I book right or left?
Advanced surfers can book ‘the left’ or ‘the right’ for their session, the waves are perfectly mirrored either side of the pier;
- The Right: Is a righthander to the right of the pier as viewed from shore, which will be forehand for ‘regular’ stance and backhand for goofy stance.
- The Left: Is a lefthander to the left of the pier as viewed from shore, which will be backhand for ‘regular’ stance and forehand for ‘goofy’ stance.
*Surfers stay on their booked side for the duration of the session, with no switching, for safety reasons and to ensure surfers maximise their time in the lake.
Intermediate surf sessions
Our intermediate sessions take place on The Point, which creates small open face waves which maintains their unbroken profile to the end - perfect for improving surfing skills.
The intermediate area is for surfers who can consistently catch and ride small waves. As an intermediate surfer, you need to be able to pop up with confidence and control the speed of your surfboard.
The Point is the is the ideal zone to have an enjoyable and safe experience for improving surfers, who are looking for more of a challenge than the beginner Bay waves, but aren’t quite ready for the advanced Reef. Either side of our lake produces right or left hand waves, so surfers will be surfing either front or back hand.
All our equipment is free of charge, including our diverse range of surfboards. You’re welcome to try them out or use your own if you prefer. We recommend longer boards for this area, such as mini-mals.
Lessons and coaching are also available in this area.
Intermediate area - the facts and figures
- Wave type: a wave with an open face that maintains its unbroken profile to the end.
- Water depth: 0.9M
- Wave height: 0.6M
- Wave length: 12-15 seconds
- Suitable for: Improving surfers, able to surf without assistance and who’ve progressed from beginner waves but aren’t yet ready for the advanced wave. This is an enjoyable and safe experience for improving surfers, who have an understanding of the fundamentals of surfing and surfing etiquette and safety.