LEARN TO SURF
Our beginner surf lessons are a mixture of lakeside training and in-wave action. They take place in our small white water waves in The Bay. Your lesson will include a full health and safety briefing, thirty minutes dry land lesson and one hour in the lake. You’ll learn about water safety, surf equipment, body positioning and how to surf. Once you’re in the water, we’ll be with you all the way to help you catch waves.
Surf lessons are delivered by our experienced team of qualified coaches. Our coaching culture seeks to bring out the best in everyone. Our coaches are highly qualified, professional and experienced. They are also down-to-earth, friendly and encouraging.
Our goal is to help you to progress whatever your age, ability or fitness level. Our experienced coaches will adjust lessons on the day to ensure they suit your surfing experience and confidence in the water.
all equipment included
Everything you need is included in the price. Your surfboard, wetsuit, gloves, hat and boots (when you need them) and helmet. All you need is your swimsuit and a towel!
Beginner lessons – the facts and figures
Arrive 60 minutes before: You must arrive at least 60 minutes before your lesson begins
Beginner wave: Small white water wave that ends at the shore
Lesson length: 1.5 hours
Wave height: 0.5m (white water)
Water depth: 0.8m
Wave duration: 12 - 15 seconds
Please arrive at least 60 minutes before your lesson
We are sorry but we are only able to allow assistance dogs on site.
All ages from 6 years old and able to swim 25m unaided. There are varying water depths and you can stay at the depth and wave height you are comfortable with.
Are you a student? Save 20% Mon – Fri – find out more here.
- Catch a white water wave alone or with help
- Learn to fall safely and to deal with the board in different situations
- Be able to paddle back to the take-off point, during or between sets
- Start practising the paddle technique and paddle through white water
- Stand up and surf the white water straight, left or right
- Learn to turn while sitting on the board
- Learn to finish waves well and safely
- Have fun!
- Any beginner who has never surfed at The Wave before.
- Beginners who want to surf for the first time.
- Surfers who have some experience but want to improve their technique.
- Those who can get to their feet and adjust the speed of the board, change direction and finish rides well in white water waves.
You must watch a Health & Safety video and sign a waiver before you surf with us, please ensure you do this before arriving on-site. After your first visit, you will only need to sign your waiver once every 60 days. The system will automatically notify you when it is time to sign your waiver, please ensure you do this before you arrive on-site. You must watch the whole Health & Safety video before you can sign your waiver, this is to reduce the briefing time when on-site and help keep you socially distanced.
Surfing and bodyboarding are physically challenging and carry risks that we cannot entirely eliminate. Have a look at our Health & Safety information and find out how to surf safely here.