Coronavirus and weather-related news
Coronavirus - update - Tuesday 17 March
We are following the outbreak of the coronavirus and the Government’s advice regarding it.
Cleanliness and hygiene
We take real care and pride in maintaining the highest standards of cleanliness and hygiene at The Wave and in response to Coronavirus, we've taken some extra steps to make our cleaning and hygiene even more rigorous.
- Our Wavemakers receiving regular briefings throughout the day about best practice and any changes in advice from the Government
- Increasing the frequency of cleaning all our spaces from our toilets and cafe-bar to our changing rooms and electric buses
- Rolled out alcohol-based hand sanitisers for everyone to use
Measures in place
We're encouraging our Wavemakers and customers to do some simple things to minimise the likelihood of a spread. These include:
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
- Put used tissues in the bin immediately
- Wash your hands with soap and water often – use alcohol-based hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available.
- Don’t touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean
- Try to avoid close contact with people who are unwell
We've also set up a team to keep a close eye on Government advice so we can move quickly should things change or we are alerted to a case of coronavirus within our team or a customer who has visited us.
Changes to refunds booking policy related to COVID-19
Given the extenuating circumstances linked to COVID-19, we have amended our Booking Terms and Conditions in relation to Cancellations, Changes and Refunds.
Until further notice, if you need to cancel your surf session, or we are unable to deliver your surf session, due to the Coronavirus outbreak we can offer you a voucher to the value of the surf session booked, credited to your account within 14 working days of the missed session.
Please note that this is the only compensation available for cancelled surf sessions at this time. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your patience during this difficult period.
When to get in touch
If anyone who is due to surf with us has been in contact with someone who has tested positive for Coronavirus, we would ask you to contact our Customer Service team and re-book your surf for a later date.
We would also ask you to contact our Customer Service team to re-book your surf for a later date if you have recently visited any of the following places:
- Anywhere in Italy on or after 9 March
- Specific areas in northern Italy in the last 14 days
- Iran in the last 14 days
- Hubei province in China in the last 14 day
- Daegu, Cheongdo or Gyeongsan in South Korea in the last 14 days
Please check the Gov.UK website for the most up to date information.
We track the weather forecast daily and do all we can to keep our lake operating however, occasionally, during stormy weather or periods of high wind, we sometimes have to close the lake.
What if we close the lake due to severe weather?
We'll only close the lake if it is not safe for our surfers and staff. The decision to close will generally be made the day before. If we do need to close we'll contact you to rearrange your surf session and any pre-booked activities.
How will we communicate?
We’ll update our website, Instagram, Facebook and Twitter with any known closures and email anyone who's surf session is affected.
What if we’re open but you can’t get to us?
We cannot accept responsibility for your travel or journey to The Wave and we won’t be able to offer a refund. If you can't travel due to local adverse weather, please contact our Customer Service team.