Suitable for:Improving surfers aged 6+, not beginners
Prices from:£55 (£45 child)
Waikiki Surf Lesson
Waikiki Lessons For Improving Surfers
Our Waikiki lessons are a mixture of land-based training and in-water action, and take place in groups of 10 with two coaches. They run at the same time as a regular Waikiki session, so there will be other surfers in the water who are not part of your lesson.
They are all about building confidence as you take that step from the white water to the Reef Area of our lake. You will learn to paddle out using the deeper channel to join the line-up, understand how to catch an unbroken wave, perfect your pop-up and gain a longer ride. The lessons will also teach you trim skills and how to make minor changes of direction, so you stay with the wave as it breaks.
Your lesson will include a health and safety briefing every time you surf, thirty minutes land-based lesson, including warm up activities, and one hour in the lake.
Our coaches are highly qualified, professional and experienced. They are also down-to-earth, friendly and encouraging! We have worked hard to develop a truly inclusive approach to learning that can be adapted to suit all levels and abilities and helps to build confidence as well as surfing skills.
This session is not for beginners, you must have some surfing experience and confidence to take part in this lesson.
Waikiki Facts and Figures
Waikiki wave: a green, unbroken wave in the reef area
Wave height: 0.75m
Lesson length: 1.5 hours
Water depth: 1.5m at take off
Wave duration: 8-11 seconds
What would my lesson look like
An example of how a session with us might look for a lesson start time of 8.30am.
- 7.30: Arrive and check-in at the reception in our car park
- 7:35 950m warm up walk to the lake
- 7.50: Check-in at the surf desk and waiver check
- 7.55: Collect your wetsuit and get changed
- 8.15: Meet your coach, health and safety briefing and select your surfboard
- 8.30: Start your dry-land lesson
- 9.00: Enter the lake for your surf session
- 10.00: Surf session in the lake ends and is followed by a debrief with your coach
- 10.05 Get changed and hand in your wetsuit
- 10.15: Relax and enjoy the view of more waves from the clubhouse
Please arrive at least 60 minutes before your session
Improving surfers, aged 6+ and are able to swim 25m unaided.
This lesson is not for beginners. You must have previous surfing experience, can stand up in white water waves, are able to catch at least 3-5 out of 10 waves, know how to pop up and have some board control.
- Confidently paddle out to the Reef Area of the lake
- Understand the line-up
- Consistently pop-up and catch unbroken, green waves
- Use body weight to change board direction and stay with the wave
- Surfers who want to progress beyond riding white water waves
- Those who can consistently stand up on most waves they catch in the white water
- Those who want to learn to turn on waves
- Surfers that need to develop their paddle strength and technique
You must watch a Health & Safety video and sign a waiver before you surf with us, please ensure you do this before arriving on-site. After your first visit, you will only need to sign your waiver once every 60 days. The system will automatically notify you when it is time to sign your waiver, please ensure you do this before you arrive on-site. You must watch the whole Health & Safety video before you can sign your waiver, this is to reduce the briefing time when on-site and help keep you socially distanced.
Surfing and bodyboarding are physically challenging and carry risks that we cannot entirely eliminate. Have a look at our Health & Safety information and find out how to surf safely here.