Surf lessons and coaching
At The Wave we’re able to offer consistent safe waves that make learning to surf lots of fun for everyone, whatever their age or fitness level. We cater for people of all abilities, including those with learning or physical disabilities. If you’ve not tried surfing before, or are looking to brush up on your surfing skills, we highly recommend a lesson. It will help you get the most out of your surfing and The Wave.
Learn to surf
We offer a range of surf lessons for beginner and intermediate levels, all delivered by our experienced team of qualified coaches. In our lessons you’ll learn about water safety, surf equipment, body positioning and how to surf. Once you’re in the water, we’ll be with you all the way as you catch your first waves.
Underpinning our culture is a strong belief that everyone learns differently, and there are many ways to ride a wave. Our mission is to provide you with a nurturing and supportive experience that gives you the skills and knowledge to surf your way. Our goal is to help you to progress whatever your age, ability or fitness level. Our experienced coaches will adjust lessons on the day to ensure they suit your surfing experience and confidence in the water.
If you’re new to surfing, we will help you to start your surfing journey with confidence. If you are an intermediate surfer and want to improve, we’ll identify a clear pathway for progression.
Our coaching culture seeks to bring out the best in everyone. Our coaches are highly qualified, professional and experienced. They are also down-to-earth, friendly and encouraging.
We have worked hard to develop a truly inclusive approach to learning that can be adapted to suit all levels and abilities and helps to build confidence as well as surfing skills.
We want as many people as possible to experience the buzz you feel after a surf because you’ve overcome a challenge, had a full-on workout or let the power of the waves wash over you.
Beginner surf lessons on The Bay
Our beginner surf lessons are a mixture of lakeside training and in-wave action. They take place in our small white water waves.
We have created a progression pathway that allows a beginner to move from brand-new surfer to confident wave rider over a few lessons.
Our beginner lessons cover everything from building confidence in white water and learning to control your board to introducing you to the surfing basics and developing good techniques that work for you.
Your first lesson is also important for us to learn about your surfing experience and personal goals so we can help you progress through our programme confidently, having fun all the way.
We include a full health and safety briefing every time you surf and this includes warm up activities.
Beginner lessons – the facts and figures
- Wave type: Small white water wave that ends at the shore.
- Water depth: 0.8m
- White water height: 0.5m
- Wave length: 12-15 seconds
- Any beginner who has never surfed at The Wave before.
- Beginners who want to surf for the first time.
- Surfers who have some experience but want to improve their technique.
- Those who can get to their feet and adjust the speed of the board, change direction and finish rides well in white water waves.
Our goals for you over a few beginner sessions:
- Catch a white water wave alone or with help
- Learn to fall safely and to deal with the board in different situations
- Be able to paddle back to the take-off point, during or between sets
- Start practising the paddle technique and paddle through white water
- Stand up and surf the white water straight, left or right
- Learn to turn while sitting on the board
- Learn to finish waves well and safely
All ages from six years. There are varying water depths and you can stay at the depth and wave height you are comfortable with.
Intermediate surf lessons on The Point
Our intermediate surf lessons include lakeside training and personalised in-wave coaching. They take place in The Point, which has a small open faced wave that is ideal for developing your ability to control your speed and turns.
The intermediate area is for surfers who can consistently catch and ride waves and for those ready to progress from the beginner wave. As an intermediate surfer, you need to be able to turn and adjust the speed of your surfboard easily, riding waves and changing direction with confidence on either a right or left hand wave.
Intermediate lessons – the facts and figures
- Wave type: a white water wave with an open face
- Water depth: 0.9m
- White water height: 0.6m
- Wave length: 13-15 seconds
- Anyone who wants to improve their existing surfing skills including paddling techniques and angled take-offs.
- Surfers who can paddle out through the white water and catch unbroken waves with the help of a coach.
- Surfers who can paddle out using the correct techniques, turn the board from sitting and paddle and catch waist-high unbroken waves.
- Those who can take off at an angle and ride down the line forehand and backhand adjusting the position of the board on the wave on the open face.
- Anyone who wants to start to engage the tail of their board to make more dynamic turns.
Our goals for you:
- Learn to paddle through white water
- Learn to turn while sitting on the board
- Catch an unbroken wave or the white water
- Learn and improve surfing the open face
- Turning the board and finishing waves well
- Angled take-off
- Confidence in surfing front or back hand
- Adjusting the speed of the board and line of the board on the wave face
- Dynamic change of direction on the open face of the wave
Improving surfers who want an enjoyable and safe learning experience as they develop their surfing abilities.