Beginner surf lessons and coaching
At The Wave we’re able to offer consistent safe waves that make learning to surf lots of fun for everyone, whatever their age or fitness level. We cater for people of all abilities, including those with learning or physical disabilities. If you’ve not tried surfing before, or are looking to brush up on your surfing skills, we highly recommend a lesson. It will help you get the most out of your surfing and The Wave.
Learn to surf
We offer a range of surf lessons for ages 6+ , delivered by our experienced team of qualified coaches. In our lessons you’ll learn about water safety, surf equipment, body positioning and how to surf. Once you’re in the water, we’ll be with you all the way as you catch your first waves.
Underpinning our culture is a strong belief that everyone learns differently, and there are many ways to ride a wave. Our mission is to provide you with a nurturing and supportive experience that gives you the skills and knowledge to surf your way. Our goal is to help you to progress whatever your age, ability or fitness level. Our experienced coaches will adjust lessons on the day to ensure they suit your surfing experience and confidence in the water.
Our coaching culture seeks to bring out the best in everyone. Our coaches are highly qualified, professional and experienced. They are also down-to-earth, friendly and encouraging.
We have worked hard to develop a truly inclusive approach to learning that can be adapted to suit all levels and abilities and helps to build confidence as well as surfing skills.
We want as many people as possible to experience the buzz you feel after a surf because you’ve overcome a challenge, had a full-on workout or let the power of the waves wash over you.
Surf lessons on The Bay
Our beginner surf lessons are a mixture of lakeside training and in-wave action. They take place in our small white water waves in groups of 8.
In line with government guidance we have made some changes to our surf lessons and the health and safety briefings will be held outside by the lake to make easy to social distance.
We have created a progression pathway that allows a beginner to move from brand-new surfer to confident wave rider over a few lessons.
Our beginner lessons cover everything from building confidence in white water and learning to control your board to introducing you to the surfing basics and developing good techniques that work for you.
Your first lesson is also important for us to learn about your surfing experience and personal goals so we can help you progress through our programme confidently, having fun all the way.
Your lesson will include a full health and safety briefing every time you surf, thirty minutes dry land lesson including warm up activities and one hour in the lake.
It is important to make sure you arrive 60 minutes before your selected time slot to ensure you have plenty of time to pick up your equipment and get suited and booted and ready to surf.
You must watch a Health & Safety video and sign a waiver before you surf with us, please ensure you do this before arriving on-site. After your first visit, you will only need to sign your waiver once every 60 days. The system will automatically notify you when it is time to sign your waiver, please ensure you do this before you arrive on-site. You must watch the whole Health & Safety video before you can sign your waiver, this is to reduce the briefing time when on-site and help keep you socially distanced.
Surfing and bodyboarding are physically challenging and carry risks that we cannot entirely eliminate. Have a look at our Health & Safety information and find out how to surf safely here.
Beginner lessons – the facts and figures
- Wave type: Small white water wave that ends at the shore.
- Water depth: 0.8m
- White water height: 0.5m
- Wave length: 12-15 seconds
- Any beginner who has never surfed at The Wave before.
- Beginners who want to surf for the first time.
- Surfers who have some experience but want to improve their technique.
- Those who can get to their feet and adjust the speed of the board, change direction and finish rides well in white water waves.
Our goals for you over a few beginner sessions:
- Catch a white water wave alone or with help
- Learn to fall safely and to deal with the board in different situations
- Be able to paddle back to the take-off point, during or between sets
- Start practising the paddle technique and paddle through white water
- Stand up and surf the white water straight, left or right
- Learn to turn while sitting on the board
- Learn to finish waves well and safely
All ages from six years. There are varying water depths and you can stay at the depth and wave height you are comfortable with.
What will my lesson look like?
Please allow at least 60 minutes before your surf lesson start time.
An example of how a session with us might look for a lesson start time of 8.30am.
- 7.30: Arrive and check-in at the reception in our car park
- 745: 950m walk to the lake
- 7:50: Check-in at the surf desk and waiver check
- 7:55: Collect your wetsuit and get changed
- 8:15: Meet your coach, health and safety briefing and select your surfboard
- 8.30: Start your dry-land lesson
- 9.00: Enter the lake for your surf session
- 10.00: Surf session in the lake ends and is followed by a debrief with your coach
- 10.05: Get changed and hand in your wetsuit
- 10:15: Relax and enjoy the view of more waves from the clubhouse