Our booking terms and conditions
All bookings for surf sessions and any other activities at The Wave (the “Activities”) are subject to the following Terms and Conditions. Please read these carefully as these form the basis of your contract with The Wave (“The Wave”, “we”, “our”, “us”). The person making the booking (“you”, “your”) will be responsible for ensuring that all other persons listed on the booking read and comply with these Terms and Conditions.
- Before you book. You acknowledge that the Activities are physically challenging and participation is not without risk. The Wave takes all necessary precautions to create a safe environment for everyone to enjoy all Activities, including providing high quality instruction and a detailed safety briefing. However, you are responsible for ensuring that you and all participants in your booking are physically fit enough to take part in any booked Activity. If you are in any doubt about your physical fitness, or that of anyone in your party, we recommend that you seek prior independent medical advice and contact our Customer Service Team to discuss your specific requirements.
- Which surfing session to book: Our surfing lake caters for all abilities and is divided into three zones – Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced. We strongly recommend that you refer to the guidance on our website before you book to ensure that you select the most appropriate session for you and any other person in your party. If, during your lesson, it becomes apparent that you are in the wrong session for your ability, we may try and move you to an alternative session. If no alternative session is available at the appropriate level, we reserve the right to end your session without refund.
- Making a booking: To make a booking for any Activity or to purchase a standard admission ticket, you can either create an online Wave User Account or log in as a guest. You can also make a booking directly with our Customer Service Team. Please note that for bookings of 9 people or more you will not be able to book online and you will need to contact our Customer Service Team via chat, phone or by email.
- Parental consent: If anyone in your party will be under the age of 18 on the booked Activity date, they require parental consent (or consent from a legal guardian or responsible adult authorised by the parent or legal guardian) in order to take part in the Activity. For further details please refer to paragraph 5a (Waiver Process).
- Confirmation of booking. Once you have placed a booking with us, we will send confirmation of your booking to the email address you have provided. Our acceptance of your booking will take place when we send out the confirmation email, at which point a contract will come into place between you and us. Your confirmation email will contain a link to the waiver and other important information about your visit.
- Booking details. Please carefully check the details in the confirmation email and contact the Customer Services Team within 24 hours if any of the details are incorrect. If you need to change personal details at any time after a booking is made, please contact the Customer Services Team so that we can update your details.
- Activity tickets. Your confirmation email will include the tickets for your booked Activities, which will be valid only for the sessions listed in the confirmation email. Your tickets cannot be used for other sessions and are not for commercial use. You are strictly prohibited from swapping, selling or transferring your session tickets. Any breach of this condition will make the associated booking void. Duplicate tickets will not be issued for lost or stolen tickets, except at our discretion.
Cancellations, Changes and Refunds
- If you need to change your booking. If you need to change your booking, please contact our Customer Services Team at least 14 days prior to your booked Activity date, and we will make every effort to change the booking for you. If we are unable to change your booking, or your request is received less than 14 days prior to the Activity date, your request shall be treated as a cancellation and you shall be entitled to the refunds set out below (paragraph 2b).
- If you need to cancel your booking. You can cancel your booking by contacting our Customer Service Team. Refunds for cancellations are as follows:
- 28 days or more prior to Activity date = 100% of the booking amount refunded using the original method of payment.
- less than 28 days but at least 14 days prior to Activity date = 50% of the booking amount in the form of a gift voucher for use with The Wave.
- less than 14 days prior to Activity date = No refund shall be provided.
- If we need to change or cancel your booking. Whilst every reasonable attempt will be made to deliver Activities, we reserve the right to cancel or modify any session due to (i) safety considerations; (ii) factors beyond our control; or (iii) mechanical fault. If we need to change or cancel your booking for any reason we will let you know as soon as possible and will either re-arrange another session for you or will reimburse you using the original method of payment as follows:
- if we need to cancel prior to the commencement of the session you will be reimbursed the full amount paid by you;
- if we need to cancel during the session, you will be entitled to a partial refund at our discretion.
- We will not be responsible for travelling or associated expenses, or any loss other than the amount paid or payable by you for the booking.
- If you arrive late or cannot take part. Your confirmation email will contain important arrival and check-in times. You will not be refunded (in whole or part) should you or any member of your party miss any of these check-in times or arrive late for any reason, or if you cannot take part in your booked Activities because any member of your party:
- does not have the correct equipment (please refer to your confirmation email for details of what equipment to bring);
- has not completed the waiver in advance of the booked Activity;
- has booked the wrong session for their ability;
- or has provided incorrect information which prevents them from taking part in the booked Activities (either wholly or partially).
Safety Rules. Your safety and enjoyment whilst participating in Activities at The Wave is paramount to us. To make participation in Activities at The Wave as safe as possible for you and others, you must familiarise yourself and comply with the following:
- Children under the age of 6 years old are not permitted in the lake.
- All participants taking part in a surf session must arrive at the time specified in the confirmation email to attend a safety briefing. Anyone who does not attend the safety briefing will not be allowed to participate.
- All participants must be able to swim at least 25 metres unaided to take part in a surf session. If any member of your party is not able to swim at least 25 metres, please contact the Customer Service Team in advance so that we can make special arrangements for participation.
- Only permitted craft (e.g. surfboards and bodyboards) are allowed on the lake. Please refer to our guidance on the website for further information.
- We strongly recommend that you do not wear glasses or sunglasses of any kind in the surf lake. Our recommendation is to wear prescription goggles. If you choose to wear contact lenses, we recommend that you wear tight fitting goggles over the top. If you choose to wear glasses, you do so at your own risk; we cannot guarantee that we can recover them for you if they are lost.
- All participants must follow all safety warnings or instructions displayed or given by a member of staff whilst in the lake or on site. Please ask a member of staff if you are unclear about any instruction.
- You must act responsibly and sensibly at all times in the lake and on site.
- You must not behave in a manner which is reckless or in any way puts yourself or others in unnecessary danger.
- If you see anything on site that you think may be potentially dangerous or breaks any of our health and safety rules or instructions, please report it immediately to a member of The Wave staff.
- Due to the physical nature of surfing we strongly recommend that you do not participate in any surfing session at The Wave if you are pregnant as it may cause harm to you or your unborn child. Pregnant women who still wish to participate in surfing sessions do so at their own risk and should contact the Customer Service Team in advance to discuss their participation.
- If any member of your party is suffering from any medical condition, illness or injury which may affect their ability to participate in Activities at The Wave, please make us aware in advance to discuss specific requirements. We reserve the right to prohibit or ask anyone to cease participation in the Activities if we believe anyone to be unfit to participate due to illness or injury.
Prices and Payment
- The prices stated on our website are valid at the time of booking. We reserve the right to increase or decrease our prices from time to time, so please refer to the website for the most up to date price list. Payment will be made in full at the time of booking.
- For bookings of 9 persons or more please contact our Customer Service Team.
- We accept payment by all major credit and debit cards. We also accept payment by The Wave gift vouchers and affiliated third party providers, and cash (on-site for walk-in bookings).
- Child prices apply to persons who will be under 16 years old on the date of the booked Activity. Adult prices apply to persons aged 16 years and above.
The Wave Gift vouchers.
The following terms and conditions apply to The Wave Gift Vouchers:
- All gift vouchers are dated and expire 12 months from the date of issue. Gift vouchers cannot be used after the stated expiry date.
- Gift vouchers cannot be returned or exchanged for cash.
- Gift vouchers cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer, promotion or discount.
- Gift vouchers cannot be replaced if lost, stolen or destroyed.
- If a refund is provided for a booking made using gift vouchers, the value will be refunded back onto that gift voucher, or a new gift voucher will be issued.
- Gift vouchers cannot be sold to any third parties without our prior approval.
- The Wave reserves the right to amend the terms and conditions of our gift vouchers at any time.
- Waiver Process. All participants must complete and sign a waiver before taking part in any Activity at The Wave. A link to the waiver will be sent to you via email in advance of your booked Activity and must be completed every time you visit The Wave. You are responsible for ensuring that the waiver process is completed by all the persons listed in your booking. Parents and legal guardians must complete the waiver on behalf of participants under the age of 18. To make the check-in process as smooth as possible on your Activity date we strongly recommend that you complete the waiver process before you arrive on site.
- Timings: All our Activities are dated and timed. There is no extra time for participants who arrive late or have not completed the waiver process in advance. If you are late for a session, your participation in the remaining part of the session will be subject to our discretion.
Children and Young People.
If any person in your booking is under the age of 18, please ensure that you adhere to the following:
- The minimum age for participating in surfing sessions is 6 years old.
- For anyone under the age of 18 years old, a parent or legal guardian or another person over the age of 18 years old authorised by the parent or legal guardian will be required to agree to their participation in Activities and complete the waiver process on their behalf.
- All children under the age of 16 years old must be accompanied whilst at The Wave site by an authorised adult over the age of 18, even if the children are not surfing. Unaccompanied children under the age of 16 will not be allowed to enter The Wave site.
- The supervising adult shall remain responsible for all children in their care whilst on site and shall ensure that each child is aware of and complies with these terms and conditions.
- We encourage adults to participate in surf sessions with their children. If you are not participating in the water, please ensure that you remain close to the lake throughout the session to provide support and assistance to your children if required.
- Adults who are accompanying children or young people in the water must purchase a ticket to participate in the relevant surf session. Adults who are accompanying children or young people on site and not surfing must purchase a standard admission ticket.
- Equipment provided for surfing: We will provide you with a full-length wetsuit and a surfboard. Full-length wetsuits are compulsory for all surfers aged under 16 years old and anyone taking part in a surfing lesson, and for safety reasons we strongly recommended that all surfers wear full-length wetsuits. Whilst we take all reasonable measures to ensure the equipment provided is safe and in good condition, you are responsible for reporting any damage caused to the equipment when in your possession. Participants may choose to wear their own wetsuits and use their own surfboards.
- Your clothing requirements for surfing: Participants taking part in surfing Activities should bring swimwear and a towel. Swimwear and towels will be available for purchase at The Wave, although we cannot guarantee availability. The Wave will provide you with the correct rash vest for your level of surfing, which must be worn at all times over your wetsuit when in the surf lake.
- Equipment for non-surfing Activities: If you take part in any non-surfing Activities at The Wave, details of the equipment provided and your clothing requirements will be included in the confirmation email.
- Damage to equipment: Any wilful damage to or loss of our equipment, or damage caused by your negligence or carelessness, must be paid for by you on demand at the current replacement value of the equipment.
- Theft: If you, or any member of your party, is found to have wilfully removed any of The Wave property (including wristbands, wetsuits or surfboards) from The Wave site, you will all be asked to leave the site immediately and we reserve the right to refuse any future bookings from you or any member of your party.
- Lockers: Lockers are available at The Wave subject to availability.
The Wave Wristbands
- Wristbands provided: You will receive a waterproof wristband when you arrive at The Wave. The Wave wristbands include a radio frequency identification (“RFID”) chip that captures identifying information about you which will be linked to your account.
- Using your wristbands: Once your wristband has been activated, you can use it to check in for your surf session, collect your wetsuit and equipment and pay for food and merchandise at The Wave (once you have topped up with cash or pre-authorised with a credit card).
- Topping up your wristband: You can pre-load money onto your wristband to pay for food and merchandise at The Wave. Details of how you can pre-load or top-up your wristband are available on site. You are also able to pre-authorise up to a certain spending limit with your credit card.
The following terms apply to your use of The Wave wristbands:
- It is not possible to collect wristbands on behalf of other people.
- All wristbands must be placed and secured on the participant’s wrist directly by our staff.
- Wristbands will not be reissued or replaced.
- You must keep your wristband on your person at all times whilst at The Wave.
- Your wristband can only be used by you.
- Your wristband may not be sold, transferred or used for any form of commercial purpose.
- All wristbands (and copyright in all wristbands) remain the property of The Wave.
- You must notify us if you lose or damage your wristband. We will not be responsible for any money lost on your account if your wristband is lost or damaged, or if any part of it is removed, detached or tampered with.
- Your wristband must be returned before leaving The Wave site. If your wristband is not returned before you leave you will be required to pay a lost wristband charge at the wristband’s current replacement value.
Personal data collected.
- Standard Admission. We also offer visitor access for those who are not participating in Activities. Standard admission tickets allow you access to our venue during public opening hours, which are stated on our website. These tickets do not include Activities which must be booked separately. We reserve the right to refuse access for health and safety/capacity reasons on extremely busy days, however this should be very rare. In these circumstances you will be entitled to a full refund.
- Under 6s and Carers: Children under the age of 6 and carers or personal assistants for disabled visitors are admitted free. This does not apply to special events, where tickets may be required. The Wave accepts no responsibility for the care of dependents whilst on site, this must always be the responsibility of the supervising adult or carer.
The Wave Venue
Acceptable conduct: As an inclusive destination, we want to create a safe, family-friendly environment where everyone can enjoy surfing. In order to achieve this, we reserve the right to refuse participation in any Activity or to ask any person to leave the lake or the venue, without refund or compensation, in the following circumstances:
- Failure to comply with any of these terms and conditions.
- Excessive noise or disruptive behaviour in the lake or the venue.
- If your actions or behaviour put other participants in danger, harms the environment or otherwise causes a potential risk to health and safety.
- Anyone found to be verbally or physically abusive to staff or customers.
- If we believe that you are under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Under no circumstances should you be under the influence of any alcohol, drugs or medication which may affect your physical ability during the surf sessions.
If any of the points above apply to you or any member of your party, we reserve the right to refuse any future bookings from you or any member of your party.
Food and drink will be available to purchase on site. If you have any food allergies or intolerances, you must inform us at the time of order. For the avoidance of doubt, you are not permitted to bring your own food and drink to the site.
Photography and filming by you.
You are permitted to take photographs or recordings in the public areas for personal use only. You are prohibited from publishing or using these for any commercial purpose without prior consent. You acknowledge that The Wave may request access to photographs taken by you at the venue and ask that certain photographs are deleted if they are deemed to invade the privacy of other visitors and/or staff, or include images of areas that are prohibited to the general public. We will not be responsible for any loss or damage to your photography equipment whilst used at The Wave. You are not permitted to fly any drone aircraft within the grounds of The Wave.
Photography and filming available for purchase by you.
- We may take photographs or recordings of surfing sessions that are available for purchase by you, although we cannot guarantee the availability of photographs or recordings for any specific surfing session. If photographs or recordings are available, prices and the process for purchasing such photos or recordings shall be provided on site.
Photography and filming by us.
- We may take photographs, live stream footage or recordings of surfing sessions and of the venue, where you may be captured. You agree to the publication of such photographs, videos, recordings, and/or likenesses of you (whether edited, adapted, modified or copied) and their use by us and those authorised by us, without prior notice or compensation, in any way which we may see fit including but not limited to film, broadcast, radio, TV, social media and any other media platforms, publications, future events and publicity. You acknowledge that we have the full right to sell and/or profit from the commercial use of such photographs, motion pictures, recordings, and/or likenesses of you. Copyright in these materials belongs to The Wave.
- If you do not wish to be featured in images, live stream footage or recordings made by The Wave for promotional purposes, please contact the Customer Services Team in advance of your booking to discuss your participation.
Parking and use of vehicles.
- Vehicles parked on site are left at the owners’ own risk. The Wave will not be responsible for any damage howsoever caused to any vehicle using the car park. We cannot guarantee the security of vehicles in the car park or any contents in the vehicle. Parking of any vehicles overnight (including motor homes, camper vans, caravans or any other vehicle of a similar nature) is not permitted in the car park.
We have first aid facilities on site. Please ask a member of staff if you require any first aid.
Smoking (including e-cigarettes) is only permitted in clearly identified designated smoking areas. Please ask a member of staff if you are unsure.
- Pets are not permitted on site, other than in designated areas (details can be found on our website). Guide dogs and assistance dogs are permitted on site. Any pet brought to the site is at the owner’s risk. We reserve the right to ask any pet owner who brings their pet onto site, other than in the designated areas, to leave the site immediately without compensation or refund. No pet should be left in a car at The Wave if the animal’s health or welfare is put at risk. We reserve the right to inform the relevant authorities if we suspect that any animal is put in danger.
Liability and other Important Information
- We do not exclude or limit liability where it would be unlawful to do so. This includes liability for death or personal injury caused by our negligence or the negligence of our staff, agents or subcontractors and for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation.
- Loss or injury. We accept no responsibility for any loss or injury resulting from any persons’ involvement in any Activity at The Wave, except where caused by the negligence of The Wave or our staff, agents or subcontractors.
- Loss or damage to your property. We accept no responsibility for the loss of, theft or damage to any property or equipment owned by or under the control of you which you bring to our venue. You are solely and personally responsible for the safety of your belongings.
- Indirect or consequential loss. We will not be liable to you for any indirect or consequential loss or damage. This includes, but is not limited to, consequential losses or out of pocket expenses incurred as a result of cancellation of a session.
- Damage to our equipment. You will be responsible for the costs of any repairs or replacements of equipment provided by The Wave where caused by yourself due to improper use.
- Damage to our property. You will be responsible for any damage you cause to the venue or any part of it due to negligence, carelessness or wilful conduct. Any such costs will be payable by you on demand and will be charged to the card used for original payment.
- Personal insurance. We recommend that you have your own personal insurance with appropriate coverage for accidents, injury or loss and any other reasonable risks in connection with your participation in Activities at The Wave. If you are traveling from abroad, we recommend that you have in place valid travel insurance to cover cancellation before the date of departure.
- Public liability insurance. The Wave maintains public liability insurance for public safety within the venue. This does not cover responsibility for any loss or damage to your personal belongings.
Changes to these Terms and Conditions
We reserve the right to make amendments to these terms and conditions from time to time at our sole discretion. A copy of the latest version of our terms and conditions (as amended, if appropriate) will always be available on our website. We shall notify you of such changes by email if they materially affect your rights as a consumer.
- Governing law. These terms and conditions are governed by English law. You and we both agree that the courts of England and Wales will have exclusive jurisdiction except that if you are a resident of Northern Ireland you may also bring proceedings in Northern Ireland, and if you are resident of Scotland, you may also bring proceedings in Scotland.
- If a court finds part of this contract illegal, the rest will continue in force. Each of the paragraphs of these terms operates separately. If any court or relevant authority decides that any of them are unlawful, the remaining paragraphs will remain in full force and effect.
- Nobody else has any rights under this contract. This contract is between you and us. No other person shall have any rights to enforce any of its terms, save for those persons that you make a booking for Activities on behalf of.