Make surfing your next school trip
The Wave is a unique environment and provides a special place for an education-led, active learning adventure for children over six-years old. Unlike many days out, a trip to The Wave combines a healthy dose of exercise with a memorable learning experience.
Workshops, surf lessons and after-school activities
The Wave provides an opportunity for personal development and confidence building. Once we're open, we'll be able to offer your school:
- One-day educational workshops with a surf lesson
- Weekly after-school surf lessons and courses
- The opportunity to add surfing into PE lessons
- Extra-curricular activities such as Duke of Edinburgh Award
Our workshops bring the curriculum to life
All our school workshops will be curriculum-linked and include:
- Pre- and post-visit resources including teacher’s notes and stimulus
- A welcome briefing with refreshments
- Time in the lake with coaching based on the skills of each group
- A base where you can store bags and eat packed lunches. If your school prefers, we will be able to provide a range of food, including breakfast, picnics or hot meals
All wetsuits, surf boards and any other equipment needed are provided and included in the price. All that children and staff need to bring is a swimming costume and towel.
Weekly surf lessons for all ages and abilities
Would your school like to run a weekly surf school session during term time? We will be able to provide a learning programme that is loads of fun, as well as a unique personal development experience for all.
Led by our experienced Wavemaker coaches, the lessons are high quality and tailored to the needs of the group. We can adapt and differentiate all lessons to the abilities of the children, including special educational needs and adaptive surfing.
These weekly sessions provide a great after-school club activity or can be added to the timetable as part of your regular PE classes. We also offer surfing for older students as part of their DofE Physical.
A free preparatory surf for teachers and organisers
We encourage teachers to visit and have a free preparatory surf once they have confirmed a booking. This helps us to understand your school’s needs and make sure we can plan your trip.
We provide free entry and surfing for accompanying adult helpers, whose participation is essential to the success of the visit.
Please note: all children must be able to swim at least 25 metres.
Health and safety is very important to us and we’ll provide you with a full risk assessment for your trip, making the paperwork easy to complete.
Support and accessibility for all
We want as many people as possible to experience The Wave. That’s why we do our best to help everyone who wants to visit us find the support they might need.
We do this by offering advice and knowledge on funding and support that might be available to schools and educational organisations through local and national schemes.
Our site is fully accessible and we provide:
- Accessible parking spaces and toilets
- Free access for personal assistants and carers
- Support and accessibility for all - we are committed to the development of adaptive surfers